Thursday, January 22, 2009

Long walks...



I have had a headache all day today... not fun at all. :( Jay and I still enjoyed a long walk this morning, like we always do, and right now Mr. L is out for a long walk with him.
I just came back from the pet store where I weighed Alih and he has lost some weight - great! It hasn't even been a full week yet but he was going to the country with my dad tonight, that's why we had to do an early weigh-in. ;) We are going to the country tomorrow and plan on spending the weekend there.
Other than that, I got some WONDERFUL news in regards to the last exam I took. I did great and it made me sooooooo happy! :) Anyhow..
I have a question for all you dog folks -
How long/how far do you walk your dogs every day?
I'm not asking to see "how well" you take care of your dogs ... I'm asking because I'm hoping I will find someone who has the same "problem" as we do. ;)
I think we walk Jay quite long and far. A normal day for James means he gets walked about 10 km (6.2 miles) a day (this is split up in 2 walks a day and in additon to these 2 longer walks he also goes for 2 short walks - midday and before going to bed. This applies to Alih too). On some days Jay even gets more than that, and some days a little less. If we for example have weight pull training in the evening, the evening walk is only about 20-30 min long. In addition to all the long walks, we train a lot of drag weight, weight pulling and other forms of training like obedience and tracking where he gets to use his head. Yet, the boy never has enough. Obviously that's due to the ADHD disorder he has (hihi)- but still, I am hoping he will outgrow that one day and be able to feel content after a long walk. Not only does he go for long walks, we often walk where he can run off leash so he REALLY gets to run like CRAZY during the entire walk.
Is there anyone else out there who has a dog like this??? Please, tell me there is. ;)

3 comments:

Dughallmor Beagles said...

I went to a canine psychology seminar a little while back and it was suggested that high levels of protein in diet may cause hyper-activity. I don't know if it's true or not, but might be worth considering? All our dogs would happily run and play all day, but equally when we come home they just love to veg-out on the sofa, usually after a hyper 10mins of running round and wrestling!
HTH :o)
Slobbers xx

Amber and Nala said...

Well, Nala can definitely go, go, go but she also enjoys just lounging around too. As long as she is cuddled up close to me she is perfectly happy but she can also get hyped up quite quickly. I hate to admit it but we don't always do daily walks....sometimes, if it is already dark when I get home then we just play inside or I practice tricks with her. After a long hike with her pals to play with though she is ready to come home and sleep and sometimes even falls asleep in the car on the way home. :)

It sounds like you are doing great with James and Alih....they are lucky pups! Maybe James just has a bit of extra energy. Good luck!

Amber

Anonymous said...

Halloj! Kom hit och skrutta i skogen med mig och Gonzo, då får James fullt upp med ny miljö, hålla reda på Gonzo och hoppa o skutta... Tänker på den gången vi gick i Hammarn med James o Gonzo, bara du och jag, har för mig att james iaf var lite halvsliten efter det! Ha're gött!