Tuesday, December 09, 2008

A stolen car

The fact that my stolen passport resurfaced got me thinking of when we had one of our cars stolen. We lived in a pretty nice neighborhood which doesn’t mean a whole lot when living in a city like LA. Crime happens everywhere. Considering Mr. L worked as a cop we always had guns in our house. Our beloved Carlos was an excellent guard dog and would always let us know if something was happening outside the house. It was not too uncommon for him to get up in the middle of the night and bark if something was taking place outside our house or in the vicinity. Mr. L would then always grab one of his guns, tell me to stay put in the bedroom and keep my mouth shut, while he would get up and check things out.. sometimes he would even go outside and check around the house and the cars.

The night when the Mustang was stolen, Carlos got up and walked over to the front door. He never barked, only growled. Mr. L asked him “what’s up Carlos?”… but Carlos came straight back in to the bedroom and went back to bed. This night Mr. L was so damn tired that he never got up, and since Carlos had came straight back to bed he figured it must not have been anything.

Unknowing he got up the next morning like always to leave for work around 6 A.M. (the dogs and I would not get up until 6:30 A.M.). He left, but after only a few minutes someone was knocking on the door. I was like “now what?!”… I crawled my tired ass out of bed, put on my robe, and opened the door. It was Mr. L and he said “they stole the car”… I couldn’t believe it!!! So Hot Shot (that would be me) got out, walked down to the road, looked in both directions, turned around and said… “yup, they took the car”… hahaha.. Now, it sounds so damn funny, what was I thinking… that the car was hiding somewhere??!… lol… Oh man…

Only a few days later, I believe it was, the car was found. It seems the bastards only wanted it for a joyride… a sports car with a V8 engine.. I’m sure they had a blast. ;)

The weird thing is, Carlos' actions that night was different compared to how he used to be. But maybe things happened for a reason, ‘cause I have a hard time believing that the car thieves would have been unarmed. You never know how it would have ended had Mr. L gone out and confronted them with a gun… I’m sure they would have fired right back at his ass.

Maybe Carlos knew… maybe he sensed it was better to come back to bed ‘cause normally nothing would have stopped him - he was a true guard dog. It was some sort of higher power stepping in. And I believe the same thing happened when my passport was stolen in Brussels. It could have gone really bad…. but due to “the circumstances” we walked out of there with only a lost passport. Amen ;)

No comments: