Saturday, August 23, 2008

A New Day

Other than course literature, I have not read any books since I started school, and that's weird considering I LOVE to read. But late last night, after I more or less had finished my last class I went to my large bookshelf. I have several unread books by now, and after browsing around I grabbed this book - Lone Survivor (click on the book title and you can read more about it). I bought it on one of my many trips to LA last year after seeing the author on the morning news. The book got me captivated immediately and it was first in the wee-hours that I managed to put the book down and go to sleep. By then, both Mr. L and Jay were deep asleep (Old Man is still in the country).

This morning I finished those last things I had to do in order to complete this last summer class. What a relief... it feels amazing! During our morning walk with James we continued the passivity training, we stopped in one of the parks where there was lots of activity... Jay and I trained "contact" and he did great (I had the clicker with me). After that we continued on up to the city where we sat down on a bench, also at a busy spot, where Jay had to lay down and chill. Unfortunately, no dogs passed by but lots of people, so it was still good training for the wild child. And he did really well.

As we had finished this exercise we started heading home via city, but all of a sudden I heard someone say my name. I looked around and could not immediately see any familiar faces, well for the first few seconds and then I was like: "heeey". It was Anna, a girl I met last spring on one of the obedience classes. She and I have talked about getting together and train our pooches but the summer came around and both of us have been busy with other things. I thought I was gonna meet them at the obedience class last Thursday but they were a no-show. Fortunately, it seems they will join the class with start next week. And we are going to meet up next week and go to the local Dog Club to train... sounds great. It should be really good for both James and I to have Anna & Aston to train with (Aston is a Springer Spaniel by the way, and what I have seen of him, he's a very obedient young man so James and I will have to work hard in order to keep up with them). Finally, Jay and I seem to have found ourselves a couple of training partners!!!! :) And actually, while speaking to Anna it was great training for James too, since he wasn't allowed to say hi and he had to sit down and wait. Normally he gets so happy he jumps around and does not know what to do with himself, but he behaved really well I must say. We have a long rode a head of us, but at least the motivation is there.

Anyhow, the book "Lone Survivor" is calling my name... :)

Ciao,
l.e.w.

No comments: